18 November, 2006

Todd's New Career




After six months of intense rehearsal, I made my stage debut as a traditional actor this November. I played the part of Harold Palmer, Hotel Detective, in Alan Ayckbourn's "Communicating Doors" with the Zürich Comedy Club, Zürich's only English speaking theatre group. They've been around since the 50's and have a stellar reputation not only in Zürich, but also as far reaching as London. It's been said of the club's performances that they rival productions in London's West End. What's even better, it was said our production was one of the best the club has ever produced. High praise indeed. So as you can imagine, this was a huge honor for me and I enjoyed every minute of it.

We played to sell out crowds the second half of the run and to over 90% capacity the first half. That's over 500 people a night. Nerve racking? Yes, but some of the most fun I've ever had in my life.

The part of Harold required that I play him at age 35 and at age 55. Notice the wig -- that's Harold at 35.

It really was an amazing experience. I had many people approach me at the end of a night and tell me how much they enjoyed my performance. It was very encouraging. The club wants me to do more. The best however was when I was spotted on a city tram one night. I was sitting there with Kathleen and BA, who came for a visit, and a woman tapped me and said, "Did you play Harold in Communicating Doors? You were great."

All ego inflating aside, it was a ton of fun and suited me perfectly. I look forward to doing more acting in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home